This course is three full days (21 to 24 hours) on the water.
If you have completed Basic Keelboat (ASA 101) and Basic Coastal Cruising (ASA 103) and want to learn what you need to know when chartering an unfamiliar boat in unfamiliar waters, this program is your answer. Bareboat Cruising (ASA 104) is three days in length and may be delivered according to your availability. Knowledge of provisioning, galley operations, boat systems, auxiliary engine operation, routine maintenance procedures, advanced sail trim, coastal navigation including basic chart plotting, chartplotter and handheld GPS operation, multiple anchoring techniques, mooring, health and safety, docking and emergency operations, weather interpretation, and dinghy/tender operation.
Successful completion of Bareboat Cruising (ASA 104) will make you eligible for an ASA International Proficiency Certificate which is widely accepted by many charter companies.
Basic Keelboat (ASA 101) and Bareboat Cruising (ASA103).
Prerequisites for Bareboat Cruising (ASA 104)
- Basic Keelboat (ASA 101)
- Coastal Cruising (ASA 103)
Sailing Season On the Water Sailing Sessions:
- Three days of on-the-water practical instruction.
- Check-out and check-in; international safety equipment requirements.
- Wide screen chartplotter and hand held GPS tutorial.
- Sailing autopilot tutorial.
- Maneuvering under power in crowded harbors.
- Advanced sail control for optimizing points of sail and heel in light, moderate & heavy weather conditions.
- Sailboat systems knowledge & troubleshooting.
- Clearing Customs & Immigration, documentation and procedures.
- Docking, anchoring and mooring under sail and power.
- MOB recovery, knots, night time sailing, navigation and piloting.
- Items to bring from home.
- What to inspect on the boat that the charter company won't point out.
- Things that you would assume are done automatically but are sometimes not.
- How to manage the refrigerator and freezer.
- Dinghy tips.
- Repairing minor items on the boat that may fail.
- Crew training.
- Quick fixes for unfamiliar engines.
- Tuition: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic all courses are now private.
- Call for special discounted pricing.
- 50% deposit due at enrollment. Balance is due 30 days prior to your scheduled class date.
- Class size is limited to four students.
- Call for special pricing to hold this class on your boat.